When I first saw the Artillery Sidewinder X1 I was really interested because it looked like we finally had a real contender to the other i3 style printers like the CR-10. On paper it’s got a lot going for it and the potential is certainly there. Artillery ending up sending me a first generation X1 back in January.
I received it with some broken parts and eventually received the replacement parts to get the printer up and running. I was experienced very inconsistent extrusion with bad layer lines and tried a variety of fixes recommended by Artillery but it never quite printed up to par. Their customer support during this time was fairly good. Eventually I sent back the first generation and then I received one of their latest generation printers.
This review will be based off the newest generation. Let’s take a look and see how it performs!
When I received this printer and opened the box, I was pretty disappointed. This was the second Artillery that I’ve receive directly from them and it arrived damaged like the first one. The extruder arm was snapped off the stepper motor. The ribbon cable was damaged during shipping just like my first one as well. There were scratches on the aluminum extrusions and had I paid for this printer I would have been very disappointed. Artillery eventually sent a replacement extruder arm and ribbon cable so that I could start printing.
After I received the replacement parts assembly was straight forward. The entire top assembly mounts onto the base assembly and then some screws hold it in place. The ribbon cables get pushed carefully into their connectors. Check the v-wheels for proper tension against the aluminum extrusions.
Setting aside the shipping issues my first impressions were that this was going to perform well. The printer feels structurally solid. It is not a noisy 3D printer. The direct drive Titan Aero style extruder setup sets the X1 apart from others especially with the better quality hobbed gear vs the cheaper straight gears on other brand printers. The Volcano style hot end will be able to handle your needs as well.
I like that they use bigger aluminum extrusions for the X axis and Y axis to increase stability of the axis motion. I’ve never been a fan of using ribbon cables on 3D printers because replacement and modifications can be more difficult. I do like the include blower fan for parts cooling and I like the clean design of the inductive endstops. I’ve owned a lot of printers and occasionally the metal levers on traditional endstops have broken off or fallen off which won’t happen with a clean inductive sensor.
The printer also just looks nice. It’s a clean design with a nice look with the blue on black. The touchscreen is bright and responsive and I like the location of the USB slot. The spool holder look snice but can be a bit painful if you have different spool widths like I do. I had to adjust the width which didn’t take long but was a minor inconvenience.
This is what it all comes down to in the end right? How well does it print? Well this Artillery Sidewinder X1 didn’t let me down. I printed a lot of prints, with different materials, and even went up to a massive 1mm nozzle to test out the extruder with the volcano style hot end. I was happy with all the prints.
My first print was a Captain America but using Eryone blue silk PLA. I tried this print on my previous X1 with the issue that got sent back. Using the same GCode the print came out very nice!
I moved on to a Phil-a-ment, a toy hammer, a bathroom drawer organizer I designed, some other small tools and prints, and then eventually went to do a nice Deadpool bust using some Mamorubot silk pink PLA I had. Print after print the results were consistently good. The larger bathroom organizer did have some minor bed adhesion issues because of it’s size, but the next one I did with a brim and it was better.
I tried my hand at TPU and the print came out OK. It was old TPU and my first time trying the TPU on the X1. While the detail is there the extrusion had some issues and I can’t say if that was because of the filament or settings, but I believe the X1 can handle it fine.
I then moved on to really put the Aero style extruder and Volcano style hot end to the test. I put on a 1mm Microswiss Volcano nozzle to really have some fun and the X1 did not disappoint. I have not pushed through so much filament so fast without issue before this. Obviously, you lose detail on a 1mm nozzle, but it sure prints fast!
I tried the Alien bust first and then followed up with some toy steering wheel halves and then finally a huge garbage can in vase mode printed with Geeetech rainbow PLA. I was giddy with how quick these printed. Each steering wheel half took 1.5 hours at 1.2mm extrusion width, 0.6mm layer heights and 5% infill and they are strong. The garbage can took 6 hours and it is 300mm tall!
Community & Support
Artillery has a website for support and to submit tickets here:
The Facebook community is also very active at over 2,700 members at the time of this article. Artillery staff are often posting and interacting with members as well. It’s been a great resource for me.
While I did have a bumpy start with the Artillery Sidewinder X1 with broken parts during shipping once I assembled it with the new parts and got it printing it printed well. I love the fact that I can barely hear the machine running when it is printing. It’s been a reliable printer that I can slice, start a print, and walk away from. I like the direct drive setup with the volcano style hot end. I do not like the ribbon cables personally but that and the spool holder are pretty much the only things that I’m not a fan of on this printer which in the grand scheme of things is not bad at all.